Best Slam of all Time

Please go watch this video before reading any of my blogs. If you do not get the chills then please, go. I have nothing more to offer you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zldHoEaolhs

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

No sliding on this field

I am on the Provo City Softball League, Team Strike Four (see Davey's blog). We had our first play-off game yesterday (creamed Ken-Garf Honda) and the field looked like a giant baked brick. It was pretty hard i.e. I heard a couple of guys comment that there would be no sliding today. I even thought that myself. Until I hit the ball through the third base side and as I rounded first I saw no play to second. In fact, the ball was thrown to third. Fools. With my speed turned on, I raced to second base thinking I had it easy. Well, the third baseman recovered quicker than I thought he would and launched the ball to second. Piss! I knew what I had to do to make it safe. with my costocondritus (bruised ribs), I decided I needed to slide more on my side than my belly so down i went..and muttered every single swear word in the book! sources also confirm Whitney letting out various profanities as shw watched. I felt the dirt tear into my skin as I slid to freedom. Oh, I was safe. I had the wounds to prove it. I am now beat up all along my leg, hip, and arm and wince whenever I have to move any of those things. Which, actually, isn't very much when you sleep in till noon. I'd publish a picture with this but the hip wound is a little revealing.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh, the poor baby. I'm sorry about your injuries, but you guys won so it was worth it right? Wish I could have been there. It would have been a sight to see I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

This is the story you share?

You forgot that in the following innning the other team started to rally. After hitting a three run homerun with only one out, the next two guys got back to back singles. On the overthrow from the outfielder the runners moved up a base. But as the throw continued to pass by everyone on our infield and headed toward the fence, the runners went to take another extra base. Kip and I were the closest to the ball, and I called Kip off of it thinking I could take the ball off the bounce from the fence and throw home to get the runner. Suddenly like lightning on drugs, Kip came screaming in, snatched the ball after it hit the fence, spun a 270 and fired a strike to the catcher's chest in time for him to apply the tag to the runners foot before he hit home.

We call those plays rally killers. The next guy got out, ended the innning and we ended up winning. Excluding his incredible slides, it was the best play I've ever seen Kip make, and maybe one of the best plays I have EVER seen.

Unknown said...

I wish i could have been there to witness such a dash of courage and slide of tenaciousness. But instead i will sit here with my body un-mamed wishing i could play on strike 4. When you look at those wounds you better be grateful that you get to participate in something so amazing and beatiful as strike 4 softball. I wear my jersey to bed, #3, and have yet washed it. Had i just stayed for two more weeks i might have been in that championship picture. So Kip, when you look at you scabby hip or feel your bruised ribs, lower your head in reverence and say thank you